Tooth-Colored Fillings – Carmel, IN
Treating Cavities with Lifelike Fillings
It’s important to have cavities treated before they can put the tooth at risk. However, you may be less than happy about the idea of getting a metal filling that will make it all too obvious that you have had dental work performed. Luckily, Dr. Springhetti can use tooth-colored fillings to repair your smile in a much more discreet way. If you want a natural-looking solution for tooth decay, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us.
Why Choose Springhetti Dentistry for Tooth-Colored Fillings?
- Aesthetically Pleasing, Long-Lasting Materials
- Practice Known for Excellent Customer Service
- Devoted, Knowledgeable Dentist
What Are Tooth-Colored Fillings?
A dental filling is a substance that is used to fill in cavities and small holes in the teeth. The tooth-colored fillings that our practice offers are made from composite resin, which can be shaded to match the color of your smile. A properly sculpted composite resin filling is virtually indistinguishable from the rest of your enamel, so most people won’t even realize it’s there. The goal of placing a tooth-colored filling is to help the tooth function normally again while also making sure the decay that has already occurred doesn’t become worse.
The Process of Getting a Tooth-Colored Filling
Having a filling placed is a very common dental procedure, and it usually only takes one appointment. We’ll begin by preparing the tooth for the procedure. This means removing the decayed part of the dental structure and using a weak acid to improve the enamel’s ability to bond with the composite resin.
Once your tooth is ready, the filling can be placed. Note that it will already be shaded with the color of your smile in mind. We’ll keep applying composite resin until all of the lost enamel has been replaced. Each layer of composite resin will be hardened with a UV light; rest assured that this will only take a few seconds.
We’ll closely examine the filling and gently sculpt it so that there isn’t any excess material left behind. The final step is to give the tooth a good polishing.
The Benefits of Tooth-Colored Fillings
Why have tooth-colored fillings become so popular? Obviously, the idea of a dental restoration that looks like a natural part of the tooth is highly appealing for many patients. That being said, aesthetics are far from the only benefit that composite resin has to offer. Below are some of the reasons why we recommend tooth-colored fillings over amalgam ones:
- Composite resin is a biocompatible material that doesn’t come with any risk of triggering metal allergies.
- Compared to metal fillings, composite resin fillings allow you to keep more of your natural enamel.
- Unlike metal, composite resin does not expand or contract in response to temperature, so there’s less of a chance of it inadvertently damaging the tooth.
- Composite resin combines a natural appearance with durability. You can usually expect a filling made out of composite resin to last for about 7 to 10 years before it has to be replaced.